Systems Administrators fulfil a key role within Spotlight’s IT team, responsible for providing a first-class level of technical support and service to internal and external customers, as well as supporting the administration of Spotlight’s web, marketing and internal systems.
- Provide 2nd-3rd line support, investigation, triage and escalation to senior engineers for the issues impacting Spotlight’s customers escalated from the Customer Services team
- Provide 2nd-3rd line support for Spotlight’s internal staff in order to assess, troubleshoot and resolve issues with corporate IT systems (AD, GSuite, o365, telephone system etc)
- Ensure that critical availability issues with production and test environments are identified and resolved/escalated in a timely manner
- Administer starters, movers and leavers systems access
- Procure, troubleshoot and dispose of office hardware (PCs and peripherals)
- Work with other systems administrators on a weekly shift pattern to cover core support hours (09:30 – 17:30).
- Work effectively within a DevOps environment
- Report on recurring themes to management and product teams so that the underlying issues resulting in customer contact can be addressed
- Identify and implement areas for process improvement in conjunction with the wider Membership Support and DevOps teams
- Excellent verbal, telephone and written communication skills.
- Inquisitive: a fast learner who is always looking to learn new skills and stay abreast of technical developments.
- Initiative: works independently to achieve a good result.
- Tenacious: not satisfied that a problem is resolved until the best possible result has been achieved for Spotlight’s customers and staff.
- Team Player: always ready to share knowledge & help a colleague.
- Prioritisation: ability to prioritise competing demands by taking into account the scale and significance of the issue
- Able to balance responding to customers needs against performing technical investigations to resolve root cause or escalate as needed
Typical Key Measures
These examples are provided for information only. The actual key measures related to this position will be agreed with the successful applicant as part of their induction.
- Cases are responded to and progressed within agreed target times.
- New cases are triaged within agreed times.
- Cases are escalated to the appropriate team for resolution in a managed and agreed way
- Documentation and knowledge-base articles are up-to-date
- Evidence of continued learning of cloud based systems, patterns and architectures can be regularly demonstrated
|Administer corporate IT systems (AD, GSuite, o365, telephone system etc)||3|
|PC Desktop support – build, install, upgrade, troubleshoot and fix.||3|
|Experience working with investigating and triaging issues within web and desktop contexts||2-3|
|Troubleshooting basic issues with web application stacks||2-3|
|Understand of AWS and cloud hosting||2-3|
|Networking – basic concepts and troubleshooting. TCP/IP, VLANS, DNS, HTTP(s).||2|
|Understanding and experience of backup strategies and tools||2|
|Scripting skills to automate and facilitate server housekeeping: (powershell, SQL, bash, etc)||2|
|Exposure to Agile development practices (preferably Scrum)||2|
|Basic understanding of SQL||1|
1: some exposure to given work area. awareness of key concepts
2: working knowledge. Familiarity with key concepts. Occasionally required to apply skills.
3: regular working knowledge. Very comfortable with concepts and capabilities. Frequent application of skills
4: expert in a given field. Daily application of skills.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us, in a few hundred words, who you are, what you’ve been working on recently, and why you’re the right person for this job.