We’re looking for developer for 6 months to join our software team as a contractor. We’re not trying to hire a rock-star, we’re trying to build a great team – which means finding people who work well together, who share a passion for technology and software development, and whose skills and experience complement one another.
Here’s our wish-list. If you can do most of them, then we’d love to hire you.
- Proven experience delivering interactive web applications. Working as part of a team, you’ve developed, released and maintained data-driven web applications. Ideally in C#/.NET, Classic ASP, MVC, repository patterns, IoC, mocking and test-driven development.
- You understand what makes software great. From database optimisation to SOLID principles to TDD to user experience and accessibility, you understand how to deliver systems that are great to use, great to maintain and great to extend.
- You’ve worked on successful, large-scale software systems. You’ve built interfaces around legacy code and integrated them with green-field projects built using the latest platforms and tools. You’ve implemented patterns like message-passing and CQRS, and understand how they contribute to the stability of complex systems. You’ve built performance monitoring and diagnostics into your software, so your systems can give the operations team the information they need to support and maintain your code without having to call the developers in every time they have a problem.
- You’ve worked on agile projects, and you appreciate the value of rapid iterations. You’re familiar with Scrum, you’ve taken part in sprint planning meetings and retrospectives, and you know what you can expect from the scrum master and product owner on a project – and what they can expect from you in return.
- You know how to keep your projects clean and well-structured. You understand the importance of naming. When the answers are always “it depends”, you know what it depends on and you can evaluate the options, make decisions and keep things moving. You know why the arguments to a search function should always be called “needle” and “haystack”, and that there’s times when you need to fire up Visio and draw something properly, and there’s times when a photo of the whiteboard will do just as well.
- You are passionate about technology, loves to solve problems and delight customers. Someone who wants to join a team of skilled, motivated, agile developers who are busy building the next generation of casting software.
- You know who’s who and what’s what in the world of modern .NET development. Maybe you’re on Stack Overflow, or Github, or Twitter. Maybe you’ve been to DDD or MIX, or go along to meetings at a local user group. Either way, you know that there’s more to .NET than Visual Studio and MSDN magazine.
- You have experience using Linq, NServiceBus, Castle Windsor, Moq, NUnit, and tools like Git, Resharper and TeamCity.
This is a contract job is for 6 months, working Monday-Friday at our offices in Leicester Square, London WC2H 7RJ. We offer a competitive rate , a central location (Leicester Square), a great working environment with a talented team and an excellent work-life balance.
Skills & Requirements
Our existing codebase is primarily ASP/.NET/C#/ReactJs. We have systems running ServiceStack, DotNetOpenAuth, EasyNetQ, NServiceBus, WebAPI, ASP.NET MVC, NHibernate, LINQ to SQL and other open-source .NET frameworks.
Our front-end is HTML, CSS and jQuery; there’s some classic ASP code written in server-side JScript, and our back-end data store is Microsoft SQL Server.
Our new projects use .NET Core, MVC, Razor, ReactJs, Dapper and EasyNetQ. Sometimes, we’ll be building new features on top of existing code – in which case familiarity with .NET, NHibernate, SQL and/or classic ASP is obviously an advantage.
When it comes to integrating the new stuff with the old stuff, we use clean interfaces and APIs around our legacy systems, to make sure things keep evolving away from monolithic web applications towards a decoupled, scalable service-oriented platform.
Again, we have a “wish list” – but we don’t expect you to tick every box on it; these are skills we need as a team, and we know we’ll be lucky to find them all in one person.
- You know your way around Classic ASP, .Net Core, ASP.NET MVC, LINQ, NServiceBus, IoC containers, Moq and NUnit. You use tools like ReSharper, Reflector, TeamCity, Octopus and SQL Compare. You understand testing. Unit tests, integration tests, acceptance tests, selenium tests.
- The web. You’re fluent in HTML5 and CSS3. You understand HTTP; you know your GET from your POST, and how to use techniques like HTTP caching to deliver responsive front-end code.
- You’re comfortable with DevOps, configuration management and managing infrastructure as code. Most of our stack runs on Amazon Web Services; as well as EC2 instances, RDS and Elastic Load Balancer, we’ve got code using things like Amazon API Gateway and Elastic Transcode, so any experience with the AWS platform and services would be advantageous.
- You know who’s who and what’s what in the world of modern software development. Maybe you’re on Stack Overflow, or Github, or Twitter. Maybe you’ve been to DDD or NDC, or you’re part of a local user group. You’ve read about Swift and Rust and Go, or you follow bloggers like Scott Hanselman and Eric Lippert.
We’re Spotlight. We’re at www.spotlight.com and @SpotlightUK, with offices and studios located in the heart of London’s West End. We’ve been the world’s leading casting resource for 90 years. Our software has been used to cast Star Wars, James Bond, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Black Mirror, Downton Abbey, and quite literally thousands of plays, commercials, music videos and shows. If casting directors are looking for leads for their latest Hollywood blockbuster, a chorus line for a West End revival, or mum & dad for an upcoming McDonald’s commercial, they look in Spotlight. Since our first website launched in 1997, Spotlight has delivered innovative applications that have revolutionised the casting industry, and we need to grow our team in order to keep on doing just that.
To find out more about what it’s like to work at Spotlight click here. If you’re interested in our technology, our engineering blog is at backstagespotlight.blog and our GitHub repo is www.github.com/SpotlightUK.
Spotlight is a family-owned company with a solid financial foundation and a healthy appetite for investment. We have a bright, enthusiastic work force – over half our employees are female, and we’ve got people from every continent except Antarctica. We’ve got a great office in the heart of the West End, surrounded by some of the best restaurants, bars and theatres anywhere in the world. We have an awesome social committee, really good coffee, team lunches, theatre trips and even an office popcorn machine.
But we also know that work-life balance is important. We close the office over Christmas and New Year, and your contracted hours would be 9:30 am – 5:30 pm. If you’re the right person for us, get in touch and we’ll do everything we can to make Spotlight the right company for you.
How to Apply
Send your CV to email@example.com and tell us, in a few hundred words, who you are, what you’ve been working on recently, and why you’re the right person for the job.
We work with a select group of agencies, and are not looking for new recruitment partners.