We’re looking for a Front-End Developer to join our software team full-time.. You’ll be working alongside our developers, testers and designers, creating web applications that deliver great user experiences for our customers.
Here’s our wish-list. We don’t expect you to be an expert at all of them; if you’re good on most of them and interested in the others, that’s fine.
- You understand the difference between graphic design and front-end development. You know there’s more to building web applications than you can capture using Photoshop or Balsamiq alone. You know how to create, share and iterate designs for interactive user journeys – wireframes, mockups, animations and interactive prototypes.
- You know the web is a constantly evolving platform; you can make informed contributions to discussion around embracing new technology, deprecating support for old browsers and devices, and using techniques like polyfills and preprocessors to incorporate the latest innovations and features into your work flow.
- You understand that front-end development is as much about engineering as it is about creativity. You know how to structure and organise your code to maintain a clean logical distinction between content, presentation and behaviour. You understand the value of unit tests and integration testing, and how to apply these techniques in your projects.
- You’ve worked in an agile environment. You know how to collaborate with UX designers, back-end developers, testers and business stakeholders to deliver working software in rapid iterations.
- You understand accessibility, performance, progressive enhancement and responsive design. You know how to build pages and screens that look fantastic on the latest, greatest browsers and smartphones, but remain perfectly usable on older browsers and specialist devices like screen readers.
Skills & Requirements
What do we need from you?
- Excellent track record of user experience, usability and interaction design.
- Familiarity with metalanguages and preprocessors like TypeScript, CoffeeScript and SASS/SCSS
- Experience using git or similar revision control systems. Specific experience with GitHub and the GitHub flow collaboration model would be an advantage.
- Experience working as part of an agile team, using patterns like scrum, lean or kanban. You’ve contributed to sprint planning meetings, you’ve done daily standups, you’ve written stories and acceptance criteria, you’ve participated in code reviews and sprint retrospectives.
- Experience creating, maintaining and using style guides and reusable components to minimise development time and promote visual consistency across multiple applications
Experience with building accessible websites and knowledge of WCAG
What do you get from us?
- The chance to work with a great team of creative and technical people, building awesome products for the showbusiness industry
- The hardware, software, tools and training that you need to do your best work
- A competitive salary, great working conditions and a solid benefits package
- The occasional thrilling moment when you’ll be watching TV, or at the cinema, and go “hey – they used our product to make that!”
- This is a full-time job, working Monday-Friday at our offices in Leicester Square, London WC2H 7RJ.
We’re Spotlight. We’re at www.spotlight.com and @SpotlightUK, with offices and studios located in the heart of London’s West End. We’ve been the world’s leading casting resource for 90 years. Our software has been used to cast Star Wars, James Bond, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Black Mirror, Downton Abbey, and quite literally thousands of plays, commercials, music videos and shows. If casting directors are looking for leads for their latest Hollywood blockbuster, a chorus line for a West End revival, or mum & dad for an upcoming McDonald’s commercial, they look in Spotlight. Since our first website launched in 1997, Spotlight has delivered innovative applications that have revolutionised the casting industry, and we need to grow our team in order to keep on doing just that.
To find out more about what it’s like to work at Spotlight click here. If you’re interested in our technology, our engineering blog is at backstage.spotlight.com and our GitHub repo is www.github.com/SpotlightUK.
Spotlight is a family-owned company with a solid financial foundation and a healthy appetite for investment. We have a bright, enthusiastic work force – over half our employees are female, and we’ve got people from every continent except Antarctica. We’ve got a great office in the heart of the West End, surrounded by some of the best restaurants, bars and theatres anywhere in the world. We have an awesome social committee, really good coffee, team lunches, theatre trips and even an office popcorn machine.
But we also know that work-life balance is important. We close the office over Christmas and New Year, and you get your birthday off – that’s as well as your normal holiday allowance. We start at 10am, giving you time to get the kids off to school; we officially finish at 5:30, and there’s rarely anybody left in the office after 6pm. Some of us work from home on Fridays; some of us work remotely, some of us work flexible hours. If you’re the right person for us, get in touch and we’ll do everything we can to make Spotlight the right company for you.
How to Apply
Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us, in a few hundred words, who you are, what you’ve been working on recently, and why you’re the right person for the job.
We work with a select group of agencies, and are not looking for new recruitment partners.