We’re looking for a developer to join our software team full-time. We’re not trying to hire a ‘rock star’, we’re trying to grow a great team – which means finding people who work well together, who share a passion for technology and software development, and whose skills and experience complement one another.
Here’s our wish-list. If you can do most of them, then we’d love to hire you in a senior development role.
- Proven experience delivering interactive web applications. Working alone or as part of a team, you’ve developed, released and maintained data-driven web applications.
- You understand what makes software great. From database performance to user experience, you understand how to deliver systems that are great to use, great to maintain and great to extend.
- You’ve worked on successful, large-scale software systems. You’ve integrated legacy systems with green-field projects. You’ve used patterns like message-passing and CQRS to manage complexity in your systems.
- You’ve worked on agile projects, and you know why rapid iterations matter. You’ve taken part in sprint planning meetings and retrospectives, and you know what you can expect from the scrum master and product owner on a project – and what they can expect from you in return.
- You know how to keep your projects clean and well-structured. You know why the arguments to a search function should always be called “needle” and “haystack”, and that there’s times when you need to fire up Visio and draw something properly, and there’s times when a photo of the whiteboard will do just as well.
Our code lives on GitHub. We manage our backlogs using Pivotal Tracker, build our solutions and run our tests using TeamCity. We use Octopus Deploy as our deployment manager, and it’s not uncommon to deploy to production several times in a day. Developers get their choice of hardware, multiple screens, MSDN, Resharper, and productivity tools like NCrunch and SQL Toolbelt if you need them.
This is a full-time job, working Monday-Friday at our offices in Leicester Square, London WC2H 7RJ. We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package.
Skills & Requirements
Our existing codebase is primarily .NET/C#. We have systems running ServiceStack, NancyFX, DotNetOpenAuth, EasyNetQ, NServiceBus, WebAPI, ASP.NET MVC, NHibernate, Linq-to-SQL and other open-source .NET frameworks. Our front-end is HTML, CSS and jQuery; there’s some classic ASP code written in server-side JScript, and our back-end data store is Microsoft SQL Server.
Sometimes, we’re building new stuff – .NET 4, MVC, Razor, NancyFX, Dapper and EasyNetQ. Sometimes, we’ll be building new features on top of existing code – in which case familiarity with .NET, NHibernate, SQL and/or classic ASP is obviously an advantage. When it comes to integrating the new stuff with the old stuff, we aim to build clean interfaces and APIs around our legacy systems, to make sure things keep evolving away from monolithic web applications towards a decoupled, scalable service-oriented platform.
Again, we have a “wish list” – but we don’t expect you to tick every box on it; these are skills we need as a team, and we know we’ll be lucky to find them all in one person..
- NET code – from DataReaders to dynamics. You know your way around ASP.NET MVC, Linq, NServiceBus, IoC containers, Moq and NUnit. You use tools like Resharper, Reflector, TeamCity, and SQL Compare. You understand testing. Unit tests, integration tests, acceptance tests, A/B tests. You know when they’re useful, and what they can teach you.
- The web. You’re fluent in HTML5 and CSS3. You understand HTTP; you know your GET from your POST, and how to use techniques like HTTP caching to deliver responsive front-end code.
- PowerShell, T-SQL or Python – they’re not your tools of choice, but you know sometimes they’re still the best tool for the job. You’ve experimented with systems like NodeJS and Varnish, and have some ideas about how they might fit into a predominantly Windows-based hosting environment.
- You’re comfortable with devops, configuration management and managing infrastructure as code. You’ve looked at Chef, Docker, Puppet and/or Vagrant, or maybe used CloudFormation to set up Amazon EC2 servers.
- You appreciate the value of the tech community – blogs, websites, conferences and social media. Maybe you’re on Stack Overflow, or Github, or Twitter, or you read /r/programming with your morning coffee. Maybe you’ve been to DDD or NDC or BuildStuff. or you’re part of a local user group. You know that there’s people all over the world trying to solve the same problems, and that it’s good for all of us if we talk to each other and share our ideas.
We’re Spotlight. We’re at www.spotlight.com and @SpotlightUK, with offices and studios located in the heart of London’s West End. We’ve been the world’s leading casting resource for nearly 90 years. Our software has been used to cast Star Wars, James Bond, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Black Mirror, Downton Abbey, and literally thousands of plays, commercials, music videos and shows. If you’re looking for leads for your latest Hollywood blockbuster, a chorus line for a West End revival, or mum & dad for your upcoming McDonald’s commercial, you look in Spotlight. Since our first website launched in 1997, Spotlight has delivered innovative applications that have revolutionised the casting industry, and we need to grow our team in order to keep on doing just that.
To find out more about what it’s like to work at Spotlight click here. If you’re interested in our technology, our engineering blog is at backstage.spotlight.com and our GitHub repo is www.github.com/SpotlightUK.
Spotlight is a family-owned company with a solid financial foundation and a healthy appetite for investment. We have a bright, enthusiastic work force, and a great office in the heart of the West End, surrounded by world-class restaurants, bars and theatres. We have an awesome social committee, height-adjustable desks, really good coffee – we even have an office popcorn machine, in recognition of our showbiz connections.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We work with a select group of agencies, and are not looking for new recruitment partners.